Being comfortable can make all the difference between a good or bad outdoor experience. Everybody talks about the importance of keeping your body’s core warm in cold conditions. Underlayer clothing is designed to keep your “core” warm in colder temperatures. Last checked, your tushie and thighs are a part of your core, and a lot of heat loss does occur from those areas. Sure, you can get full heavyweight pants, but pants restrict movement. This is where the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer™ Short comes in. A lightweight, down-fill shorts that help retain heat in your bum and thighs to help make any outdoor, cold-weather experience more pleasant.
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer ™ Shorts Specifications:
- Uses: Ski / Snowsports, Camping, or cold weather fly fishing.
- 800-fill RDS-certified, lightweight, breathable down retains maximum loft
- Lightweight warmth makes it incredible for layering
- Low profile quilt pattern to create heat trapping down channels for extra warmth
- Elastic webbing at waistband with snap and zipper closure
- Two secure zip hand pockets
- One secure snap rear pocket
- Full side zippers for easy on and off
- Elastic binding at cuffs
- 800-fill RDS-Certified Down/Flourine Free
- 6.7 oz / 190 g
Fit and Feel:
Our product tester found the Ghost Whisper™ runs large. After getting the right size, the first thing our tester noticed was how super lightweight it was, staying true to the Ghost Whisperer™’s lineup of products. The full zippers on both sides of the shorts allow you to put on or take off your shorts without having to remove your boots. One option our tester would like to see is shorter inseam options. He’s short.
Our first test of the Ghost Whisper™ shorts happened while fishing for Big Rainbow Trout on the Naknek River. Cold and windy October mornings make for cold boat rides that seem much longer. From launch to destination and wading in the cold water, our tester found the shorts comfortable under his waders, almost to the point he didn’t notice them but did realize his bum did stay warm during the boat ride on the cold seat.
The lightweight 800 fill-down and baffle design performed well by helping him keep his core temperature up—the shorts made for a better experience while wading in frigid water by keeping his lower core warmer. Our tester wore the shorts over midweight underlayer and calf covering socks. Versus full-length pants, the shorts are easier to put on under waders, less restricting during moving and wading.
Overall, The Mountain Hardwear shorts made swinging for big fall Rainbow Trout on the Naknek River in the cold much more comfortable. Lightweight, easy to wear, and performed well on the water under waders. The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisper™ shorts proved to be a cozy addition to your cold-weather fishing gear lineup. You can purchase them at www.mountainhardwear.com or other retail shops. As usual, we encourage you to look at local, retail shops.
- Baffle design, helping keep your bottom and thighs warm.
- Extremely light weight.
- Comortable to wear.
- Low profile for layering under your waders, so it is less restricting versus a full pant.
- At $200.00 they wll probablly the most expenisve shorts you’ll own.
- No Women’s version available yet.
- A shorter inseam options would be great.
- Other colors would be nice. Currently only availbe in the color black.
Other Gear Reviews: