As we mentioned on Friday, it’s trout time at Alaska West. Late July trout fishing rocks!
If you’re headed to Alaska West to chase our legendary leopard rainbows, here are 5 flies that we think you should bring along. Idylwilde makes some pretty awesome trout flies – these are all available from your local Idylwilde dealer.
- Hickman’s Mr. Hankey. If you’ve read our blog much, you know that Jeff Hickman has guided at Alaska West for years. He’s a really innovative tier and developed this pattern based on his experiences on the Kanektok and Arolik Rivers. Hit the link for some more background and design info. Mousing is fun.
- Hickman’s Egg Stealing Super Sculpin. Sculpins produce all season long. This is a big fly for big fish.
- Silvey’s Tandem Tube – Black Egg Sucker. Black leeches work anywhere trout swim. The tandem tube has super movement in the water.
- Hickman’s Bite Sized Flesh. Yep, three Hickman flies in this list! We like the Bite Sized Flesh because you can fish it in all types of water – skinny, deep, side channels, main river, spawning beds and more.
- Fox’s Sleech – Fresh Flesh. On the other hand, this thing is massive! If you’re fishing the lower Kanektok in pursuit of the big boys, you’re going to want to drag a big flesh fly around snags and dropoffs.
You should bring some beads along too, but including beads in a list of favorite flies just didn’t feel right…