If you’re viewing this in a newsletter or a reader, click here to see the video on our website.
Jack Reis still has Barracuda on the mind which selfishly I am pretty happy about. Cannot wait to get this fly wet the day after tomorrow!
“If I could use only one Barracuda fly for the rest of time, it would be some variation of this pattern. Barracuda have a tendency to zero in on the back half of their target. This subsurface needlefish features a tandem hook setup, with the trailing hook almost at the rear of the fly to capitalize on that behavior. I’ve found the combo of flashy chartreuse and red really grabs the attention of these fish, but feel free to experiment with other types of materials for the collar. Just remember, the wire connection here has to be absolutely bomb proof, or you’ll find yourself missing the back half your fly in a hurry!” -Jack Reis
- Hook: Gamakatsu SL12S sz. 2 (rear), Owner Aki 5170 – sz. 2/0 (front)
- Thread: UTC 140 – Fl. Chartreuse
- Wire: Tandem Wire
- Body: Hareline EZ Body Tubing – Pearl, Sharpie – Green, Red
- Collar: EP Sparkle Brush – Chartreuse, 3D Black/Red
- Eyes: EP Gamechange Eyes – White
Previous Fly Tying Friday’s: