Late last year, the FTC decided that online publishers need to disclose any hidden interests or unspoken biases to their readers when they publish product reviews and/or recommendations. In the past couple of months the FTC’s guidelines have become a little more clear, so we’re devoting a day of airtime today to our Product Review Policy and FTC Disclosure, and we’ll build a link to this disclosure into every future product review, for your reading pleasure.
Product Review Policy
- We only write positive things about products we actually like.
- Yes, most of our reviews are mostly positive. That’s because if we don’t like a product much, we just don’t review it. We think that there are enough great fly fishing products out there that there’s no need to waste time on products that we don’t like.
We’ll try to be thorough. As it relates to any review that you read on our web site, please assume that the product’s manufacturers, sales representatives, dealers and/or others with a financial interest in the product being reviewed may have done any combination of the following:
- Sent us products at no cost to review and then send back to them.
- Sent us products at no cost to review and then keep.
- Sent us products to keep even if we don’t review them.
- Taken us fishing and then refused our offer for gas money.
- Bought us beer.
- Bought us other alcohol drinks, and/or non-alcohol drinks, and/or food.
- Given us loads of money (see, everyone in fly fishing is just raking it in right now) [note to FTC and IRS: the preceding phrase in parentheses is a joke].
- Been friends with us.
- Visited one or more of our lodges.
- Told other people that they should fish at our lodges.
- Caught more fish than us while fishing at one or more of our lodges.
- Yelled at us for blowing easy shots at tarpon (sorry, some of those industry folks are real jerks, but we digress).
- Featured us in their sales and marketing literature, and/or other publications, online and/or not.
- Paid us outrageous referral fees for sending customers to them.
- Hosted us in their homes.
- Generally been nice to us, with the expectation that we’ll write good things about their products, or not.
We feel so much better now that everything’s out in the open. Thanks for reading our blog.
JK Smith says
Product rep sounds like a pretty sweet job!
Allison Woods says
How do you feel about letting me plagarize from your disclosure statement for the one I need to do for my site? I could start from scratch, but you make it so easy for me not to….
Not a problem Allison – have at it. Some sort of attribution back would be great.
Neco Villella says
Well…, we finally now know what “rules” to follow apropos of product submissions.
Randi Poole says
This is by far the best disclosure I’ve ever read and seems to follow my personality to a tee! I will be linking back to you for sure as I plan on using certain parts for my own!!
Doug Jett says
Being a connoisseur, or at least someone who works inside the spirit industry, I see that you need a bottle of something other than the Capt. for a spiced rum. I’ll see if I can get you soem Sailor Jerry Rum. After all, nothing is too good for my friends!
Sounds great Doug – we’re clearly open to receiving gifts of all sorts!
Hope your holidays are great.
Been nice to hear about…. I dont know, how/where a fly rods fits in it.geez
Kyle Shea says
We’re a bit unclear of your point, but we’re happy to elaborate! This is just a disclosure that outlines our policy on gear reviews, like fly rods. In a nutshell, we only publish reviews on products we like. Simply put, if we really don’t like a product, we don’t write a review on it. We think there’s just too much great gear out there to waste our time on the negatives. Thanks for the input!
David Grubb says
Good job, Kyle. I love your mixture of experience, candor, humor and understanding your readers. .