We are in the business of helping people catch more fish. Usually this involves us sharing tips on what various species of fish like. Equally as important but often undiscussed are examples of things fish do NOT like. Being familiar with things that spook fish and avoiding them is a great way to increase your success on the water. The following are 5 things that Bonefish hate.
- Predators – Whether it is a shark, osprey or a human, Bonefish always have survival on their mind. Things like sudden shadows will make them think a predator is nearby and send them running! If possible, keep the Bonefish happy and do not let them be aware of a predator nearby.
- Loud Noises – Wading boots stomping on the deck, a push pole crunching on corral, or the cooler lid slamming after your boat mate grabbed a cold Kalik, Bonefish do not like loud noises. If you see a bonefish near by, stay quiet!
- A Fly Moving Towards Them – Fish like to see their prey swimming away from them. That is how it happens in the wild. A shrimp swimming towards a bonefish can be red flag to the silver ghost. Try and always present your fly at an angle so that when you start to strip it in, you are moving it away from the fish.
- Fly Line Above Them – This goes along with the first point as a fly line over top of them is a good indicator of a predator nearby. When casting at a cruising bonefish, it is better to be short and strip your fly away from the fish then to cast too far past him so that the fish swims beneath your fly line.
- Scents – Bonefish have a keen sense of smell. If you just put on sunscreen and then tie on a new fly, odds are some of that scent transferred over to your #2 Orange Gotcha. Be sure to rub your hands and your fly in some mud to remove any remaining odors of your SPF 50.
More From Andros South: